Sunday, October 26, 2008

Novedades (New News)

I am afraid of writing any more about cookies because my last blog post definitely jinxed my luck, but I must recount the happenings. The Monday after I posted I arrived at school to sadly find that Villa Colombia had been closed by the government for not having payed their taxes. On the brink of devastation I stumbled into school unable to put words together. Colombia...por que...no entiendo...galletas...Colombia? Unsure of the future of my cookie provider, I continued aimlessly through the morning and was forced to settle for a piece of chocolate cake at the fast food restaurant across the street. Sadly observing this new dessert in my hand I started to drag myself back towards school when good luck returned in the form of one of the regular employees from Villa Colombia. Having exchanged glances he could easily read the forlorn expression on my face and without me having said a word, he filled the gap, "No te preocupes. Las galletas van a estar listas el jueves." (Don't you worry. The cookies will be ready Thursday.) Needless to say, I no longer take the cookies for granted.

On a non-gluttonous note, this Tuesday marks two months and I don't know where the time has gone. It's amazing how fast time is passing as my days always seem to end before I am ready for them to. When abroad my senses are satiated with new experiences, cultural differences, stimulating conversations, welcome inspirations and more; and, each day only ends with me being unable to absorb everything, but ready to squeeze the sponge and reabsorb more the next day. I am having a fabulous time here and have been very fortunate to find fulfilling volunteer work at an organization called CENIT. Every Tuesday and Thursday, I now go to CENIT in the morning (and take my Spanish classes in the afternoon instead) where I help co-run the Clinica de Calle (Street Clinic) program with Priyanka. We are still in the organizational stages as we have only been working for CENIT for a week and a half, but we are really excited about the potential this program has. Our basic role is to develop relationships with the workers in a couple markets in Southern Quito, try to identify and take progress notes on the people who need medical care, and ensure that those people receive free medical appointments as well as take the appropriate medications on a regular basis. Going to the Camal Market this past Tuesday was both exciting and overwhelming. It was so nice to talk to the people and learn about the wonderful work that the past nurses who ran this project were doing, but it was equally trying to return to CENIT and learn of the budget crunch that may make it difficult to fulfill their needs for diabetes, hypertension, arthiritis, and cholesterol medications among other things. Nonetheless, we are optimistic that we can fundraise for supplies as we continue to build relationships and provide health care for our friends in Camal!!

And other news of the past couple of weeks is that:

1. I went to Canoa, a small beach town where I made chocolate on an organic farm and attempted surfing for the first time (Thanks Peter)!!
2. Endured a miserably cold and rainy day at the soccer stadium to be warmed by a fabulous 1-0 victory for Ecuador against Chile.
3. Celebrated two friends' birthdays on one day!
4. Finished reading my first book by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
5. Rode the Teleferico up to 4100 meters atop the volcanic mountains of western Quito.
6. Had a successful Skype conference call with my mom and dad at home, brother in Wisconsin, and grandparents on another computer!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Loved your post, Amit!
Enjoyed speaking with you via skype! We loved the pictures from the previous post.
Do not forget your English!!(ha ha)
Missing ya!

Unknown said...

Amit!

It's been lovely to keep up with you via blog. I have a skype date with Pri this week... maybe you and I can do the same soon?

In other news... I CAN'T WAIT TO VISIT IN THE SPRING!

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear you're doing well :)

The landscape in South America is beautiful, and I'd love to see more pictures!

Good luck with all the Spanish. I'm taking a basic Medical Spanish course and it's great. When you get back, we'll have to practice!

Take care and best wishes,

-Rez